Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The one thing Steve Jobs got right

It is a deliberate thing on my part not to quote the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates in my work. Sometimes they seem like the extraordinary people God created for whatever reason. They seem too far away and the size of their success is hard to identify with. I find that most young people in my part of the world have this difficulty which comes from comparing their environment with the one Steve Jobs and Bill Gates grew up in. A young person in the UK or the US appears to have more advantages than those in Ghana or Nigeria. That is the kind of truth that does not allow you to see yourself being the next Bill Gates even if you are told all the time that all things are possible.


But what has value has value and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Hence my research into the life of Steve Jobs has led me to share this videos as he reiterates some of the key point I make at the SPiD-UP® workshops. Your job is referred to as occupation because it occupies your life. You spend 8 or more of your 24 hours in it and another 8 sleeping. The last 8 you use for the countless other things you do as part of your life. If you do the math right, you will see that your happiness, success, achieving your life goal etc. all depends on your job or occupation. It is that simple and apparently Steve Jobs understood this very well. If your job makes you unhappy, you will be unhappy for the rest of your life… I mean you will have an unhappy and an unfulfilled life. I am yet to meet anyone who wants that. By 8:31 he starts making this point very clearly:


"Sometimes life can hit you in the head with a brick. don't loose faith. I am convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love...and that is as true for work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe to be great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet keep looking and don't settle." 




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

0 comments:

Post a Comment